Autor Wątek: Richard Francis Gordon, Jr. (1929-2017)  (Przeczytany 5713 razy)

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
    • Astronauci i ich loty...
Richard Francis Gordon, Jr. (1929-2017)
« dnia: Listopad 07, 2017, 20:44 »
W wieku 88 lat zmarł były astronauta amerykański Richard Francis 'Dick' Gordon, Jr.

Odbył 2 loty w kosmos i 2 spacery kosmiczne.

"Why is it that nobody understands me, yet everybody likes me?"
- Albert Einstein

velo

• Gość
Odp: Richard Francis Gordon, Jr. (1929-2017)
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Listopad 07, 2017, 21:18 »
Odchodzą weterani. Coraz mniej uczestników misji Apollo jeszcze żyje :(

Offline astropl

• Weteran
  • Zmieściłem się w Sojuzie :)
    • Loty Kosmiczne
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 01:04 »

Z pierwszej setki zdobywców kosmosu żyje dokładnie połowa.
Waldemar Zwierzchlejski
http://lk.astronautilus.pl

Polskie Forum Astronautyczne

« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 01:04 »

Offline astropl

• Weteran
  • Zmieściłem się w Sojuzie :)
    • Loty Kosmiczne
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 01:07 »
Gordon był niesłychanie wesołym człowiekiem, zresztą podobnie, jak Conrad. Oto weselsza wersja lotu  Apollo-12:

Waldemar Zwierzchlejski
http://lk.astronautilus.pl

Online Orionid

• Weteran
  • Very easy - Harrison Schmitt
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 05:24 »

Z pierwszej setki zdobywców kosmosu żyje dokładnie połowa.
W tym roku już pięciu odeszło z pierwszej setki, a tylko Wołkowi (na liście kosmonautów 143 pozycja) brakowało kilku miesięcy do 80-tki.
Jest to pierwszy rok, kiedy tak wielu najstarszych weteranów zmarło:

Igor Pietrowicz Wołk (1937) zmarł 3 stycznia 2017
Eugene Andrew 'Gene' Cernan (1934) zmarł 16 stycznia 2017
Gieorgij Michajłowicz Grieczko (1931) zmarł 8 kwietnia 2017
Wiktor Wasiljewicz Gorbatko (1934) zmarł 17 maja 2017
Paul Joseph Weitz (1932) zmarł 22 października 2017
Richard Francis 'Dick' Gordon, Jr. (1929) zmarł 6 listopada 2017

EDIT 04.10.2023
Richard Francis 'Dick' Gordon, Jr. (05.10.1929-06.11.2017)

28. (29) człowiek w kosmosie.
Richard Francis 'Dick' Gordon, Jr. ddbył 2 loty kosmiczne, które trwały łącznie 013d 03h 53m 32s.
Jego 2 spacery w programie Gemini trwały łącznie 02d 41h.

https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/gordon_richard_0.pdf

http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/astronauts/english/gordon_richard.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/g/gordon.html

https://mek.kosmo.cz/bio/usa/00028.htm
http://www.kozmo-data.sk/kozmonauti/gordon-jr-richard-francis.html
https://www.astronaut.ru/crossroad/028.htm
https://www.april12.eu/usaastron/gordon29ru.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_F._Gordon_Jr.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Gordon

https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/GordonRF/GordonRF_6-16-99.htm
« Ostatnia zmiana: Październik 04, 2023, 09:47 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 05:42 »
Z załogi Apollo 14 wszyscy już nie żyją , a z załogi Apollo 12 i Apollo 17 żyją tylko Alan Bean i Harrison Schmitt.
Richard Gordon odszedł zaledwie 8 dni przed 48. rocznicą startu w kierunku Księżyca.

Astronaut Dick Gordon, a member of the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame, attends a 1993 event at Cape Canaveral, Fla.
NASA/Jim Grossmann
« Ostatnia zmiana: Listopad 08, 2017, 05:58 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 06:42 »
NASA Pays Tribute to Early Space Pioneer Richard Gordon
Nov. 7, 2017 RELEASE 17-085

The following is a statement from acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot on the passing of former NASA astronaut Richard Gordon:

“NASA and the nation have lost one of our early space pioneers. We send our condolences to the family and loved ones of Gemini and Apollo astronaut Richard Gordon, a hero from NASA’s third class of astronauts. 

“Naval officer, aviator, chemist, test pilot, and astronaut were among the many hats of this talented and daring explorer. Dick was pilot of Gemini XI in 1966, on which he performed a spacewalk where he tethered the Gemini and Agena together for the very first attempt at creating artificial gravity by rotating spacecraft. He also was command module pilot of Apollo 12, the second manned mission to land on the Moon. While his crewmates Pete Conrad and Alan Bean landed in the Ocean of Storms, he remained in lunar orbit aboard the Yankee Clipper, taking photos for potential future landing sites and later performing final re-docking maneuvers.

“An accomplished naval aviator, Dick tested many new aircraft that later entered service and also won the Bendix Trophy Race from New York to Los Angeles in 1961, setting a new speed record for the time.

“Dick will be fondly remembered as one of our nation’s boldest flyers, a man who added to our own nation’s capabilities by challenging his own. He will be missed.”

Jen Rae Wang / Allard Beutel Headquarters, Washington
Last Updated: Nov. 7, 2017
Editor: Sean Potter
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-pays-tribute-to-early-space-pioneer-richard-gordon
« Ostatnia zmiana: Listopad 08, 2017, 07:48 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 07:46 »
Remembering Dick Gordon
Nov. 7, 2017

Former NASA astronaut Richard Gordon, command module pilot on Apollo 12, the second lunar landing mission, passed away on Nov. 6, 2017.

Acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot said in a statement on Gordon's passing: “NASA and the nation have lost one of our early space pioneers. We send our condolences to the family and loved ones of Gemini and Apollo astronaut Richard Gordon, a hero from NASA’s third class of astronauts."

Gordon, a retired U. S. Navy captain, became an astronaut in 1963. He spent more than 316 hours in space on two missions. He was the pilot for the three-day Gemini 11 mission in 1966 and performed two spacewalks. At the time of the flight, Gemini 11 set the world altitude record of 850 miles.

Gordon was born in Seattle, Washington in 1929. He graduated from North Kitsap High School in Poulsbo, Washington in 1947, then received a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from the University of Washington in 1951.

In 1953, Gordon received his wings as a naval aviator. He then attended All-Weather Flight School and jet transitional training and was subsequently assigned to an all-weather fighter squadron at the Naval Air Station at Jacksonville, Florida.

Gordon, left, made his first spaceflight in September 1966 with crewmate Pete Conrad on Gemini XI.
Credits: NASA

In 1957, he attended the Navy's Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Maryland, and served as a flight test pilot until 1960. During this tour of duty, he did flight test work on the F8U Crusader, F11F Tigercat, FJ Fury, and A4D Skyhawk, and was the first project test pilot for the F4H Phantom II. He served with Fighter Squadron 121 at the Miramar, California, Naval Air Station as a flight instructor in the F4H and participated in the introduction of that aircraft to the Atlantic and Pacific fleets. He was also flight safety officer, assistant operations officer, and ground training officer for Fighter Squadron 96 at Miramar.

Gordon made a second flight in 1969 as command pilot on Apollo 12 with spacecraft commander, Charles Conrad and lunar module pilot, Alan Bean. Throughout the 31-hour lunar surface stay by Conrad and Bean, Gordon remained in orbit around the moon on the command module, "Yankee Clipper."

Astronaut Dick Gordon stands in the open spacecraft hatch during the Gemini XI mission.
Credits: NASA/Pete Conrad

Since retiring from NASA, Gordon served as Executive Vice President of the New Orleans Saints Professional Football Club in the National Football League and held executive positions at several companies in the oil and gas, engineering and technology industries.

In November 2005, NASA honored veteran Gordon with an Ambassador of Exploration award. NASA presented these prestigious awards to the astronauts who took part in the nation's Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs from 1961 to 1972. Ambassadors of Exploration help NASA communicate the benefits and excitement of space exploration.

Last Updated: Nov. 7, 2017
Editor: Steve Fox
https://www.nasa.gov/astronautprofiles/gordon

Gallery: Images of Astronaut Dick Gordon
Interviews with Dick Gordon:
NASA Johnson Space Center Oral History Project, June 16, 1999
NASA Johnson Space Center Oral History Project, Oct. 17, 1997

Offline Mikkael

• Weteran
  • "Per aspera ad astra"
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 09:52 »
Richard Gordon miał być dowódcą misji księżycowej Apollo 18, anulowanej w 1970 roku.
GG 8698011

Offline kanarkusmaximus

• Administrator
  • Ja z tym nie mam nic wspólnego!
    • Kosmonauta.net
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 11:14 »
Bardzo barwna postać tej "złotej ery" podboju kosmosu.
A ten rok jest naprawdę smutny dla weteranów!

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 18:24 »
Zmarł Richard Gordon
BY MICHAŁ MOROZ ON 8 LISTOPADA 2017

Richard Gordon / NASA

W wieku 88 lat zmarł były amerykański astronauta Richard Gordon. Brał udział w misjach Gemini XI oraz Apollo 12.

Urodzony w 1929 roku Richard Gordon był członkiem trzeciej grupy astronautów NASA. Brał udział w dwóch lotach kosmicznych, w których łącznie spędził 13 dni w przestrzeni kosmicznej.

Gemini XI

Celem misji Gemini XI było przycumowanie do wyniesionego wcześniej górnego stopnia rakiety Atena, który następnie podniósł apogeum obu pojazdów do rekordowego w 1966 roku 1369 km. Gordon wykonał również dwa spacery kosmiczne. W jednym przymocował do statku Gemini trzydziestometrową linę rozwijaną ze stopnia Agena. Celem było wytworzenie sztucznego ciążenia przy pomocy ruchu obrotowego obu pojazdów. Był to pierwszy przeprowadzony eksperyment tego typu. Spacer był bardzo wyczerpujący dla astronauty i został zakończony przed czasem. Podczas, bardziej udanego drugiego spaceru kosmicznego Richard Gordon przede wszystkim wykonywał zdjęcia gwiazd. Należy podkreślić, że pierwsze spacery kosmiczne były wyjątkowo wyczerpujące dla astronautów, gdyż procedury treningowe, jak i skafandry kosmiczne nie były jeszcze dostosowane do wyjątkowo trudnych warunków pracy w nieważkości.

Apollo 12

Podczas drugiego lotu w kosmos Richard Gordon ponownie leciał z Pete Conradem. Trzecim uczestnikiem misji Apollo 12 był Alan Bean, dla którego było to pierwszy lot w kosmos. Conrad i Bean stali się kolejno trzecim i czwartym człowiekiem chodzącym po powierzchni Księżyca. Lądownik Intrepid osiadł w pobliżu wysłanej wcześniej sondy Surveyor 3, zaś Gordon pozostawał na orbicie księżycowej w kapsule Yankee Clipper.

Richard Gordon był również wyznaczony na dowódcę misji Apollo 18. Nigdy nie stanął jednak na powierzchni Księżyca. Misję anulowano w 1970 roku. Gordon opuścił korpus astronautów 1972 roku i rozpoczął karierę w sektorze prywatnym.

Zmarł 6 listopada 2017 roku. Był jednym z 24 astronautów, którzy widzieli Księżyc z bliska.

http://kosmonauta.net/2017/11/zmarl-richard-gordon/#prettyPhoto

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Listopad 08, 2017, 18:34 »
Dick Gordon, NASA astronaut who walked in space and flew to moon, dies at 88

NASA astronaut Richard "Dick" Gordon, seen here training for the Apollo 12 moon landing mission in 1969, died on Monday, Nov. 6 at the age of 88. (NASA)

November 7, 2017 - Richard "Dick" Gordon, an Apollo-era NASA astronaut who became the fourth American to walk in space and one of 24 humans to fly to the moon, died on Monday (Nov. 6) at the age of 88.

Gordon's death was confirmed by NASA and the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation. A cause of death was not stated.

"We lost a good friend and former director," Tammy Sudler, president and CEO of the scholarship foundation, wrote in an email to supporters on Tuesday afternoon. "Dick always did everything in style and his way. He was loved by many and will be missed by all."

Gordon was chosen with NASA's third group of astronauts in 1963. He flew two times to space: first as pilot of Gemini 11 in 1966 and then as Apollo 12 command module pilot in 1969.

In total, Gordon logged 13 days, 3 hours and 53 minutes in space, including 2 hours, 41 minutes on two extravehicular activities (EVAs, or spacewalks) and 88 hours, 58 minutes in orbit around the moon.

"NASA and the nation have lost one of our early space pioneers," said acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot in a statement. "Dick will be fondly remembered as one of our nation's boldest flyers, a man who added to our own nation's capabilities by challenging his own."

Gordon's first launch into space came on Sept. 12, 1966, on board NASA's ninth and second to last Gemini crewed mission. Lifting off on a Titan II rocket from Complex 19 at Cape Canaveral, Gordon flew with Gemini 11 commander Charles "Pete" Conrad, his former roommate from his days as a naval aviator on the aircraft carrier USS Ranger.

"Pete and I could communicate without talking. We trusted each other. We thought alike," said Gordon in a NASA oral history. "We reacted to the same stimuli the same."

Gordon and Conrad lifted off at 9:42 a.m. EST (1442 GMT) and attached to an Agena docking target just one hour and 34 minutes later, demonstrating the capability to do a first-orbit, direct ascent rendezvous.

"It was pretty dynamic and pretty exciting," Gordon told the NASA interviewer, "when you're launched after the Agena and your rendezvous was by the time to get to Hawaii and dock was by the time you get to the United States."

Conrad and Gordon used the engine on the Agena to raise their orbit to 850 miles (1,370 kilometers), which is still the highest Earth orbit achieved by a crewed spacecraft to this day.

During the three-day-long mission, Gordon performed two EVAs. On his first spacewalk, he fastened a 100-foot-long (30-meter) tether from the Agena to a bar on the outside of the Gemini capsule, but not without significant trouble.

"In training, I had been able to wedge my legs between the Agena and Gemini ... and then be able to use both hands to attach the tether," Gordon stated. "Well, I couldn't keep myself in that position. I kept floating away, so I ended up having to hold the docking bar with one hand and put the tether and the locking mechanism on there with the other."

"I have always equated that to the task of trying to tie your shoelace with one hand," he said.

Perspiring to the point that salt from his sweat was stinging his eyes, Gordon returned inside the spacecraft a half hour earlier than was planned. But with the tether successfully connected between the two vehicles, Conrad and Gordon were able to use the thrusters on the Gemini to begin the two craft rotating and produced a small amount of artificial gravity as an experiment.

"We knew we could feel the gravity. It was very, very low. But you could feel it," Gordon described, adding that after releasing a pencil, he and Conrad were able to watch as it was pulled away. "So, you knew right then and there that you were creating artificial gravity."

Gordon's second spacewalk went more smoothly, standing up in his seat to photograph Earth and the stars.

"The second EVA was easy," he recalled. "Standing up in the hatch, outside the spacecraft, but pointing this camera or the spacecraft at a particular area in the solar system."

"I fell asleep during EVA. That's how difficult EVA is when you can fall asleep. It was a totally different experience."

Conrad and Gordon splashed down aboard Gemini 11 on Sept. 15, 1966, and were recovered in just 24 minutes by the USS Guam aircraft carrier.

It was not the last time the two would fly together.

Three years later, on Nov. 14, 1969, Gordon, Conrad and Alan Bean launched on Apollo 12, the second mission to land humans on the moon.

Lifting off atop a Saturn V rocket from Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center, Gordon and his crewmates soared towards space through a storm. Twice in 52 seconds, the Saturn V was struck by lightning, setting off numerous warning lights inside the Apollo 12 spacecraft.

The strikes took the command module's fuel cells offline.

"Fortunately, during launch, procedures say that you have the batteries turned on as a back up system. If we hadn't had those on, we'd have had an automatic abort," Gordon stated. "The batteries picked up the required electrical load and we proceeded from there."

Bean, following quick advice from NASA's Mission Control and remembering an earlier training simulation, was able to bring the fuel cells back online. Once on orbit, the crew completed a check out of their spacecraft's systems and, finding no damage, they were given the go to continue on to the moon.

"If they would have made us come back, we would have been highly upset. The word is 'pissed-off," he said. "Once we saw that the spacecraft... looked to be pretty good, we didn't even contemplate that we were going to come back."

As Conrad and Bean landed the lunar module Intrepid at the Ocean of Storms on the moon, Gordon tended to the command module Yankee Clipper in lunar orbit. He circled the moon alone for 37 hours, 42 minutes and 18 seconds, photographing potential future landing sites.

"If you knew those two other clowns that I lived with, you'd been happy to have a little time alone yourself," he joked. "That's what I always tell everybody. 'Were you sad being alone?' 'Hell no, if you knew those guys, you'd be happy to be alone.'

When Conrad and Bean did return lunar from the surface, Gordon made sure they did not mess up his spacecraft for the journey back to Earth.

"They came back so damn filthy that I wouldn't let them in the command module. I made them strip, take every bit of clothes off they had," he said. " said, 'Holy smoke, you're not getting in here and dirtying up my nice clean command module."

"So they passed the [moon] rocks over, they took off their suits, passed those over, took off their underwear — and I said, 'Okay, you can come in now.'"

The three splashed down in the Pacific Ocean aboard the Yankee Clipper on Nov. 24, 1969, and were recovered by the USS Hornet.

Richard Francis "Dick" Gordon, Jr. was born Oct. 5, 1929, in Seattle, Washington. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from the University of Washington in 1951.

Gordon received his wings as a naval aviator in 1953. He attended all-weather flight school and jet training and was assigned to a fighter squadron in Jacksonville, Florida.

In 1957, Gordon attended the Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Maryland, and served as a flight test pilot until 1960, working on the F8U Crusader, F11F Tigercat, FJ Fury and A4D Skyhawk and he was the first project test pilot for the F4H Phantom II.

Gordon served with Fighter Squadron 121 at the Miramar, California, Naval Air Station as a flight instructor in the F-4H and participated in the introduction of that aircraft to the Atlantic and Pacific fleets. He was also flight safety officer, assistant operations officer, and ground training officer for Fighter Squadron 96 at Miramar.

Winning the Bendix Trophy Race from Los Angeles to New York in 1961, Gordon set a speed record of 869.74 miles per hour (1,399 kp/h) and a transcontinental speed record of 2 hours and 47 minutes.

In total, Gordon logged more than 4,500 hours flying time, 3,500 hours in jet aircraft.

After his selection by NASA but prior to his first spaceflight, Gordon served as backup to David Scott on the Gemini 8 mission in 1966. He similarly served as Scott's backup for Apollo 9 between his own Gemini 11 and Apollo 12 flights, and then again for Scott on Apollo 15 in 1971.

Based on the normal crew rotation schedule, Gordon was expected to command Apollo 18, getting a chance to walk on the moon, but the mission was canceled due to budget cutbacks in September 1970.

In 1971, Gordon became chief of advanced programs for the Astronaut Office and worked on the design and testing of the space shuttle. He left the space agency and retired from the Navy the following year.

Gordon subsequently became the executive vice president for the New Orleans Saints professional football team and later held executive positions at several companies in the oil and gas, engineering and technology industries.

Gordon also volunteered his time as chairman and director of several charitable groups, including the Louisiana Heart Fund, the March of Dimes (Mother's March), the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Boy Scouts of America and Boys' Club of Greater New Orleans, as well as a member of the board for the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

He was inducted into the International Space Hall of Fame at the New Mexico Museum of Space History in 1982 and in the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame in Florida in 1993.

Gordon served as a technical advisor for the 1985 made-for-TV miniseries "Space," based on the novel by James Michener, and appeared as a capcom in Mission Control in two of the episodes. He was later portrayed by actor Tom Verica in the 1998 HBO miniseries, "From the Earth to the Moon."

He is survived by his children Carleen, Richard, Lawrence, Thomas and Diane from his first wife, Barbara, who died in 2012; his two stepchildren: Traci and Christopher, from his wife Linda, who died in Sept. 2017; and five grandchildren: Madison, Sean, Ryan, Lea and David. Gordon sixth child, James, preceded him in death in 1982.
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-110717a-obituary-richard-dick-gordon-astronaut.html
« Ostatnia zmiana: Luty 14, 2022, 21:40 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #13 dnia: Listopad 09, 2017, 08:26 »
Link do materiału:

« Ostatnia zmiana: Luty 14, 2022, 21:34 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: Listopad 10, 2017, 09:23 »
Richard Gordon, Gemini and Apollo astronaut, dies at 88
November 9, 2017 Stephen Clark

Dick Gordon is photographed during a debriefing in the quarantine van aboard the USS Hornet, following the end of the Apollo 12 mission on Nov. 26, 1969. Credit: NASA

(...) “Dick Gordon is an American hero, and a true renaissance man by any measure. He was an American naval officer and aviator, chemist, test pilot, NASA astronaut, professional football executive, oil and gas executive and generous contributor to worthy causes,” said Curt Brown, board chairman of the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation and a veteran of six space shuttle missions. “He was in a category all his own.” (...)

Astronaut Richard Gordon, pilot on the Gemini 11 mission, sits astride the spacecraft during a spacewalk, while attaching a tether from the Gemini capsule to the Agena vehicle. Credit: NASA

Clad in a pressure suit and helmet, he was the fourth U.S. astronaut to head outside their spaceship on a spacewalk. NASA was still in the early stages of establishing spacewalking procedures, and Gordon had no foot restraints to help him work while he remained tethered to the Gemini capsule. (...)

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/11/09/richard-gordon-gemini-and-apollo-astronaut-dies-at-88/
« Ostatnia zmiana: Październik 04, 2023, 09:33 wysłana przez Orionid »

Polskie Forum Astronautyczne

« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: Listopad 10, 2017, 09:23 »