Autor Wątek: Osobistości - wątek zbiorczy  (Przeczytany 89249 razy)

Online Orionid

• Weteran
  • Very easy - Harrison Schmitt
Odp: Osobistości - wątek zbiorczy
« Odpowiedź #105 dnia: Maj 02, 2021, 23:57 »
@Orionid: Było gdzieś wcześniej info o śmierci 6 Administratora NASA Jamesa Montgomery'ego Beggs'a?

Bo szukam i nic nie widzę?
Parę dni temu też zauważyłem ten brak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/us/james-beggs-nasa-chief-dead.html

James Beggs, 94, Is Dead; NASA Chief Championed Space Shuttle
By Sam Roberts April 28, 2020

He was on leave during the Challenger disaster in 1986 and resigned shortly after what critics called a leadership vacuum.

James Beggs with a model of a manned space station in 1984. As the administrator of NASA, he oversaw more than 20 successful space shuttle launches.Credit...UPI

James M. Beggs, the NASA chief who oversaw more than 20 successful space shuttle launches and who was on leave during the fatal Challenger explosion in 1986, died on April 23 at his home in Bethesda, Md. He was 94.

The cause was congestive heart failure, his son Charles said.

Mr. Beggs was named administrator of NASA by President Ronald Reagan in 1981. He was on administrative leave — to defend himself against accusations, later declared baseless, of overcharging the government — when Challenger sundered 73 seconds after liftoff, killing seven crew members, including a high school teacher, Christa McAuliffe.

The Challenger disaster was attributed in part to a decision to ignore the recommendation of a contractor who had cautioned that low temperatures jeopardized the durability of the spacecraft’s seals, or O-rings.

Mr. Beggs had been replaced at the time by a “White House political appointment,” and “NASA was thus bereft of experienced and trusted leadership” when Challenger exploded, according to an official NASA history written in 1998 by Prof. John M. Logsdon, the former director of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University.

Mr. Beggs had championed the shuttle program during his tenure, charming conservative critics of big government, especially a president whom he once described as “almost technically ignorant.”

In 1985, Reagan was invited to Edwards Air Force Base in California to see the shuttle Enterprise, mounted on a Boeing 747, flown back to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida for public display.

“I said, ‘After you finish your speech, just say, “Enterprise, you’re free to roll,”’” Mr. Beggs told Reagan, as he recalled in a 2002 oral history interview. “That 747 will rev up and it’ll come roaring by and take off.”

“He said, ‘I can do that?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ So he did, and when he left that day, he said, ‘That’s the most fun I’ve had since I got this job.’”

Mr. Beggs shepherded the space shuttle from its experimental stage to what he called an operational phase, promoted the development of an International Space Station and was credited with lifting morale in an agency that had known little recent glory.

After a successful shuttle mission in 1982, he said, “We’ve proven once again that when we want to, we can perform splendid things and make them look easy.”

Before joining NASA as its administrator, Mr. Beggs was the under secretary of transportation from 1969 to 1973 under President Richard M. Nixon. In that post he oversaw the creation of Conrail, which reorganized the freight operations of the bankrupt Penn Central Transportation Company and Erie Lackawanna Railway, and initiated Amtrak as a quasi-public passenger railroad.

Mr. Beggs tried unsuccessfully to create an American version of a commercial supersonic plane. And while he believed that “there must be intelligence out there somewhere” in outer space, his prediction that contact would be made by the beginning of the millennium proved unfounded.

Mr. Beggs, right, with President Ronald Reagan and the first lady, Nancy Reagan, at Edwards Air Force Base in 1982. With them were the astronauts Thomas Mattingly, left, and Henry Harstfield Jr.Credit...NASA

James Montgomery Beggs was born on Jan. 9, 1926, in Pittsburgh to James Andrew Beggs, a bookkeeper and accountant for an oil well supply company, and Elizabeth (Mikulan) Beggs.

After attending Southern Methodist University in Dallas for a year, he entered the United States Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1947. He served in the Navy as a pilot and submariner until 1954 and earned a master’s degree in business administration from Harvard Business School in 1955.

He married Mary Harrison, who became chairwoman of the Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts in Virginia; she died in 2015. In addition to their son Charles, he is survived by another son, James H. Beggs; two daughters, Maureen Fox and Terri Luechtefeld; and 10 grandchildren. Another daughter, Kathleen Beggs, died in 2012.

After serving as transportation under secretary, Mr. Beggs was an executive with Howard Hughes’s Summa Corporation. In 1974, he was named an executive vice president of General Dynamics, the government defense and aerospace contractor. In 1985, General Dynamics along with Mr. Beggs and three current company executives were indicted on charges of overbilling the Army for millions on a weapons contract from 1978 to 1981, when Mr. Beggs was an executive with the company. He went on administrative leave from NASA and never returned.

He resigned from NASA in 1986, about a month after the Challenger disaster, and in 1987 all the federal charges were dropped. A year later, Attorney General Edwin Meese 3d publicly issued what he called a “profound apology” to Mr. Beggs, explaining that the indictment had been based on “an inaccurate understanding and assessment of the underlying facts.” He added, “Your fellow citizens should now be more aware than ever that your character is untarnished and your behavior unblemished.”

Even before the indictment and the Challenger disaster, Mr. Beggs had to grapple with political second-guessing and skepticism about scientific progress.

He recalled the firestorm that ensued after Tom Hayden, a California state legislator, and his wife, Jane Fonda — who were both known for their liberal activism — were invited in 1983 to watch as the astronaut Sally Ride became the first American woman to be launched into space. Mr. Hayden represented the district in which Ms. Ride’s parents lived. Mr. Beggs said that he and his wife were never invited to the White House by the Reagans again.

While he was reluctant to rehash NASA’s culpability in the Challenger accident, Mr. Beggs said “they shouldn’t have launched” and that, despite being on leave, he had called the agency’s chief engineer that morning to express concern about icing.

“Whether I would have done anything different at the time, I’ve thought about that,” he said. “I think I would have, but that’s pure conjecture.”

The shuttle was “the most reliable and safest space vehicle we’ve ever flown,” he added. “No flying machine is 100 percent safe.”
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lipiec 10, 2022, 14:41 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #106 dnia: Maj 02, 2021, 23:57 »
Ex-NASA administrator James Beggs dead at 94
Former NASA administrator James M ByThe Associated Press 26 April 2020, 19:21
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nasa-administrator-james-beggs-dead-94-70354260

James M. Beggs, NASA administrator in the 1980s, dies at 94
By Matt Schudel April 26, 2020 at 2:10 a.m. GMT+2
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/james-m-beggs-nasa-administrator-in-the-1980s-dies-at-94/2020/04/25/a8488d5c-871b-11ea-ae26-989cfce1c7c7_story.html

40 Years Ago: James Beggs Sworn in as NASA Administrator
Jul 9, 2021

James M. Beggs served as NASA’s sixth administrator between 1981 and 1986 during President Ronald W. Reagan’s administration. During his tenure, the space shuttle completed its orbital flight test program and began to deliver, repair, and retrieve satellites, conduct scientific missions, and support U.S. military space activities. The space shuttle fleet grew from one to four orbiters during his time in office. As administrator, Beggs helped to convince President Reagan to approve the space station as a new project, the forerunner of today’s International Space Station. He oversaw early designs for the orbiting facility and negotiated with America’s allies to join the program. He also supported NASA’s science programs, including the Hubble Space Telescope. Beggs formally resigned as administrator in February 1986 following a brief leave of absence.

Left: Vice President George H.W. Bush, left, swears in James M. Beggs, right, as NASA’s sixth administrator as his wife Mary looks on.
Right: Official NASA portrait of Administrator Beggs.

President Reagan nominated Beggs on April 23, 1981. He was serving as executive vice president at General Dynamics in St. Louis, Missouri, at the time and had previously served as NASA’s associate administrator for the Office of Advanced Research and Technology between 1968 and 1969. Following confirmation by the Senate on June 25, Vice President George H.W. Bush swore him in and Beggs took office on July 10. He succeeded acting NASA Administrator Alan M. Lovelace, who left the agency in January 1981 to return to the private sector. During Beggs’ tenure, the space shuttle Columbia completed the final three of the four orbital flight tests and began to deliver satellites to orbit, repair and retrieve disabled satellites, and serve as a platform for scientific missions such as Spacelab. Space shuttle orbiters Challenger, Discovery, and Atlantis joined Columbia to round out the fleet.

Left: In the Mission Control Center at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, NASA Administrator James M. Beggs, second from right, looks on as President Ronald W. Reagan, seated in dark suit, talks to the STS-2 crew in November 1981.
Right: Administrator Beggs, far right, with STS-4 astronauts Thomas K. “TK” Mattingly, left, and Henry W. “Hank” Hartsfield and President and Mrs. Reagan at NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center, now NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center, following the landing of STS-4.

During his Jan. 25, 1984 State of the Union message, President Reagan directed NASA to build a permanently occupied Earth-orbiting space station. As administrator, Beggs was instrumental in convincing President Reagan to approve the space station as a new project. Following the announcement, he oversaw the initial designs for what later became Space Station Freedom and ultimately today’s International Space Station, and negotiated with America’s allies to join the program. In the area of space science, Beggs oversaw the development of several large projects, including the Hubble Space Telescope, an instrument he once described as the eighth wonder of the world.

Left: In the Mission Control Center at NASA’s Johnson Space Center (JSC) during the STS-6 mission in April 1983, NASA Administrator James M. Beggs, center, accompanies Vice President George H.W. Bush as JSC Director Gerald D. Griffin describes the facility.
Right: Administrator Beggs with an early model of the space station in 1984.

On Dec. 4, 1985, Beggs took an indefinite leave of absence from NASA pending disposition of an indictment from the Justice Department for activities predating his tenure as administrator. The Justice Department dismissed the indictment in June 1987 and U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese apologized to Beggs for any embarrassment. Deputy Administrator William R. Graham served as acting administrator until the swearing in of James C. Fletcher as NASA’s seventh administrator in May 1986. Beggs formally resigned from NASA effective Feb. 25, 1986, one month after the Challenger accident. He passed away on April 23, 2020.

John Uri
NASA Johnson Space Center
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/40-years-ago-james-beggs-sworn-in-as-nasa-administrator
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lipiec 10, 2022, 14:45 wysłana przez Orionid »

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #107 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 15:06 »
Muzułmanie w kosmosie
BY ZUZANNA PATKOWSKA ON 10 MAJA 2021

Zdjęcie prezentujące nowych emirackich astronautów - Muhammeda AlMullę i Norę Matroushi (zdjęcie: WAM News Agency/The Associated Press)

10 kwietnia 2021 roku Zjednoczone Emiraty Arabskie ogłosiły, że wybrały dwoje swoich obywateli – inżynier mechaniczną Norę AlMatrooshi i pilota Mohammada AlMulla – na astronautów, którzy przejdą szkolenie w NASA. Rok temu, 19 lipca, ZEA wysłały w przestrzeń kosmiczną sondę Al Amal, która 9 lutego 2021 roku dotarła do Marsa. ZEA mają bardzo ambitne plany, ale nie są jedynym krajem muzułmańskim, który szykuje się do podboju kosmosu. (...)

Pierwsi kosmonauci i astronauci

Pierwszym muzułmaninem w kosmosie był pochodzący z Arabii Saudyjskiej Sultan ibn Abd al-Aziz Saud

W tym samym roku wystrzelony został również pochodzący z Syrii Muhammad Ahmad Faris.

Pochodzący z Azerbejdżanu Musa Manarow wziął udział w dwóch załogowych lotach kosmicznych

Drugim muzułmaninem w ramach programu Interkosmos był pochodzący z Afganistanu Abdulahalad Momand

2 października 1991 roku, na pokładzie Sojuza TM-13, został wystrzelony w kosmos pierwszych kazachski kosmonauta – Toktar Onggarbajuły Äubäkyrow

Drugi obywatel Kazachstanu w kosmosie pojawił się wkrótce potem – Tałgat Amangeldyuły Musabajew

Po Azerbejdżanie i Kazachstanie przyszła pora na Kirgistan – Saliżan Szapirow odbył dotąd dwa loty.

Pierwszą muzułmanką w kosmosie została pochodząca z Iranu Anousheh Ansari.

Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor – z zawodu chirurg ortopeda – był pierwszym Malezyjczykiem w kosmosie

Wreszcie pierwszym obywatelem Zjednoczonych Emiratów Arabskich w kosmosie został Hazza Al Mansouri (...)
https://kosmonauta.net/2021/05/muzulmanie-w-kosmosie/#prettyPhoto

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #108 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 15:44 »
Autorka powyższego artykułu nieco odmiennie podchodzi do nazewnictwa niektórych bohaterów.

Sultan ibn Abd al-Aziz Saud Sułtan Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud

Muhammad Ahmad Faris  Muhammed Ahmed Fares

Musa Manarow Musa Chiramanowicz Manarow

Abdulahalad Momand Abdulahad 'Abdulah' Momand   lub   Abdul Ahad Mohmand

Toktar Onggarbajuły Äubäkyrow  Toktar Ongarbajewicz Aubakirow

Tałgat Amangeldyuły Musabajew Tałgat Amangeldijewicz Musabajew

Saliżan Szapirow  Saliżan (Sairdżan) Szakirowicz 'Sanja' Szaripow

Anousheh Ansari   Anousheh Ansari

Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor  Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Al Masrie bin Sheikh Mustapha

Hazza Al Mansouri  Hazzaa Ali Abdan Khalfan AlMansoori

Polskie Forum Astronautyczne

« Odpowiedź #108 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 15:44 »

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
    • Astronauci i ich loty...
« Odpowiedź #109 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 15:52 »
W różnych źródłach nigdy to się nie zgadza !

Kwestia zapisu głosek po ichniemu!
"Why is it that nobody understands me, yet everybody likes me?"
- Albert Einstein

Offline astropl

• Weteran
  • Zmieściłem się w Sojuzie :)
    • Loty Kosmiczne
« Odpowiedź #110 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 16:09 »
Autorka powyższego artykułu nieco odmiennie podchodzi do nazewnictwa niektórych bohaterów.

To prawda, jednak nie jest to wielki problem, jak słusznie zauważył mss, to kwestia zapisu. Gorzej jednak, że w treści artykułu pojawiły się sformułowania wskazujące na... hmm, nazwę to niewielkim doświadczeniem z pisaniem w języku polskim i - a to już naprawdę źle - stwierdzenia dalece odbiegające od prawdy. Zamieściłem przed chwilą komentarz pod artykułem, ale już go nie widać. Cenzura wróciła?
Waldemar Zwierzchlejski
http://lk.astronautilus.pl

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #111 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 16:42 »
Już sam tytuł  odwołujący się do kategorii religijnych wzbudza poważne wątpliwości.
Chyba nie ma żadnego źródła, które grupuje kosmonautów wg wyznania.

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
« Odpowiedź #112 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 16:50 »
Są dane, ale jak zwykle nie pełne, jak znajdę to ci podrzucę do lektury, bo mam gdzieś na dysku zapisane, a jak nie to w kopii w chmurce!
- Albert Einstein

Offline kanarkusmaximus

• Administrator
  • Ja z tym nie mam nic wspólnego!
    • Kosmonauta.net
« Odpowiedź #113 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 16:56 »
Cenzura wróciła?

Wróciła - automatyczna! :) Komentarz wymagał ręcznego zatwierdzenia.
Przesłałem komentarz do autorki tekstu.

Offline astropl

• Weteran
    • Loty Kosmiczne
« Odpowiedź #114 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 16:57 »
Już sam tytuł  odwołujący się do kategorii religijnych wzbudza poważne wątpliwości.

Zgadza się. Ponieważ komentarz pod artykułem nadal nie istnieje, pozwolę sobie wstawić go tutaj.
---
Szanowna pani Zuzanno!

Dlaczego wrzuciła pani do jednego worka muzułmanów z ludźmi być może innych wyznań lub zgoła niewierzącymi? Pierwszy przykład to Musa Manarow. Jaki z niego muzułmanin? Urodził się w Azerbejdżanie? No, raczej w ZSRR. Wierzący? Śmiem wątpić, w każdym razie niepraktykujący, miałem okazję z nim pić napój, którego Allah raczej zabrania. Czy Syryjczyk Faris jest muzułmaninem? Nie wiem, być może, nic mi do tego. To samo dotyczy obu Kazachów - zwracam uwagę, że pierwszy leciał jako obywatel ZSRR, zaś drugi - Rosji. W ZSRR z założenia byli ateiści, w Rosji prawosławni. Państwo, kraj, wyznanie - to bardzo różne rzeczy. Odwracając nieco przewrotnie tytuł, czy można nazwać astronautów z NASA czy ESA chrześcijańskimi? A czy przebywający na ISS Hoshide jest szintoistycznym astronautą?

I jeszcze trochę na temat stylu: "inżynier mechaniczną Norę AlMatrooshi" - czyli chyba cyborga?, "z powodu wyrostka głównego kandydata – Muhammada Daurana" - to trochę nieładny skrót myślowy, "zdjęcia w rezolucji 2 metry na piksel" - may ładne polskie słowo rozdzielczość, rezolucja oznacza zwyczajowo zupełnie co innego, "wystrzelił wytworzoną w kraju satelitę Omid" - to już błąd rażący, satelita - ten satelita - jest rodzaju męskiego!

"Jednakże pierwszym krajem islamskim, który wystrzelił swój statek kosmiczny (bezzałogowy), był Pakistan. To właśnie pakistańska agencja kosmiczna 7 czerwca 1962 roku wysłała w kosmos rakietę Rehbar-I, pierwszy tego typu obiekt w świecie islamskim i w Południowej Azji." - ho, ho, pisze pani na nowo historię, szkoda, że alternatywną. "Ansari jest też pierwszą kobietą-turystką w kosmosie, albowiem z zawodu nie jest ani pilotem, ani inżynierem, tylko [...]" - słabo się pani przygotowała - Ansari w roku 1988 uzyskała licencjat w dziedzinie inżynierii elektrycznej i informatyki, później zaś  na George Washington University. "w ramach programu Shutter-Mir" - chcę wierzyć, że to tylko literówka.
Waldemar Zwierzchlejski

Offline astropl

• Weteran
    • Loty Kosmiczne
« Odpowiedź #115 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 17:00 »
Cenzura wróciła?

Wróciła - automatyczna! :) Komentarz wymagał ręcznego zatwierdzenia.
Przesłałem komentarz do autorki tekstu.

Aaaa, takie buty... Jasne, dziękuję!
Waldemar Zwierzchlejski

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
« Odpowiedź #116 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 17:05 »
Dopiero teraz przeczytam artykuł walczę nadal na FB, ale w innej kwestii, jak przeczytam uważnie napiszę krótką laurkę ;)
- Albert Einstein

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
« Odpowiedź #117 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 17:33 »
Wreszcie pierwszym obywatelem Zjednoczonych Emiratów Arabskich w kosmosie został Hazza Al Mansouri (w prasie zdarza się też spotkać fonetyczny zapis jego nazwiska: Mansoori). W 2017 roku emiracka agencja kosmiczna Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) ogłosiła, że zaprasza chętnych do udziału w programie kosmicznym tworzonym we współpracy z Roskosmosem. Mansouri zakwalifikował się dzięki swojemu doświadczeniu wojskowemu i 25 września 2019 roku wyleciał na pokładzie Sojuza MS-13 na Międzynarodową Stację Kosmiczną. Spędził tam 7 dni, 21 godzin i 1 minutę.

Ja jako komentarz nie napiszę nic, tylko zaznaczę jeden kardynalny błąd w zacytowanym fragmencie!!!

Można sprawdzić w jakim pod adresem wątku mojego autorstwa! To wyjaśnia wszystko o wartości tego artykułu!
- Albert Einstein

Online Orionid

• Weteran
« Odpowiedź #118 dnia: Maj 10, 2021, 23:51 »
Mansouri zakwalifikował się dzięki swojemu doświadczeniu wojskowemu i 25 września 2019 roku wyleciał na pokładzie Sojuza MS-13 na Międzynarodową Stację Kosmiczną. Spędził tam 7 dni, 21 godzin i 1 minutę.

Ja jako komentarz nie napiszę nic, tylko zaznaczę jeden kardynalny błąd w zacytowanym fragmencie!!!

Można sprawdzić w jakim pod adresem wątku mojego autorstwa! To wyjaśnia wszystko o wartości tego artykułu!
W uzupełnieniu dodam, że kosmonauci nie są teleportowani na pokład ISS   ;)
« Ostatnia zmiana: Maj 11, 2021, 00:06 wysłana przez Orionid »

Offline mss

• Moderator Globalny
  • he/him
« Odpowiedź #119 dnia: Maj 11, 2021, 00:18 »
Są dane, ale jak zwykle nie pełne, jak znajdę to ci podrzucę do lektury, bo mam gdzieś na dysku zapisane, a jak nie to w kopii w chmurce!

doszło co trzeba?
- Albert Einstein

Polskie Forum Astronautyczne

« Odpowiedź #119 dnia: Maj 11, 2021, 00:18 »